Velocity Sports Lab has just launched a HIIT cardio-focused workout for the ultimate full body experience. Dynamite personal trainer Lydia – puts the brave through their paces.
Based alongside the calm and soothing beach of Hout Bay, at the foot of one of the most scenic drives in the world, lies Velocity Sports Lab. Within its walls, members enjoy the latest high-tech cardio equipment, health & fitness specialists, and variety of scheduled classes. Amongst the most feared, yet most rewarding HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio workouts, is the Warrior Workout.
The Warrior Workout has been specially designed by Lydia. The aim is not to turn participants into warriors, but rather quasi-warriors. With a variation of HIIT cardio moves, and equipment, like ropes, tires, and dumbbells, the workout is circular. It works in a very similar fashion to the old-school circuit, one can find at almost any well-equipped gym.
It works systematically – with a minute or so allocated for each exercise, Lydia makes sure that every person attending does the majority, if not all the exercises. To alleviate body temperature, in between sets, you are asked to run outside for a short stretch as well. A view worth the run and a run worth the view.
Cardio-Strength Interval Workout is one of the most effective ways to lose weight and tone.
“We’re big fans of high-intensity interval training (HIIT). It strengthens our hearts, builds endurance, and can be done just about anywhere. From running on the treadmill to gliding away on the elliptical, HIIT can be stacked with other forms of cardio for a quick and killer workout. That said, HIIT and strength training might not initially make sense as a pair—and they shouldn’t always go hand-in-hand. Once you’re at a certain training level, HIIT is HIIT, and strength is strength. There are different energy systems involved,” explains Aaptiv trainer Mark Sayer.
7 Benefits of the Warrior Workout:
- You Burn A Lot Of Calories In A Short Amount Of Time – researchers found that HIIT burned 25–30% more calories than weight training, running, and biking.
- Your Metabolic Rate Is Higher for Hours After Exercise – Your metabolic rate is the rate at which you burn calories, whilst resting or exercising.
- It Helps You Lose Fat – Not Muscle. It has shown to reduce visceral fat (the disease-promoting fat that surrounds your organs) and of course, your circumference.
- It Supports Muscle Growth.
- Better Oxygen Consumption – traditionally to improve oxygen consumption, long forms of exercise are recommended. However, HIIT cardio has been shown to increase your muscles’ ability to use oxygen as well as endurance training.
- Reduce Heart Rate and Blood Pressure.
- Reduce Your Blood Sugar – it is very important to maintain your blood sugar at a good level. A high level of blood sugar can lead to problems such as hyperglycemia and diabetes.
If this sounds ideal to you, come train with us! We offer the Warrior Workout multiple times a week.