The 80/20 rule is not a diet – it is a lifestyle

Let’s face it, you’re not going to be able to avoid carbs for the next 60 years of your life. May we therefore suggest that the 80/20 rule is the benchmark of dietary balance. The 80/20 rule is not a diet – it is a lifestyle.

Which diet are you on?

Nowadays, it seems that there are more diets than there are actual food groups… Paleo, Keto, Gluten-free, Vegan – you name it!  Most of these diets do prescribe healthy eating habits and weight loss, but how many could you maintain for your entire lifespan? Often when you decide to stick to a specific diet, restricting you to specific foods, you end up breaking the diet and binge eating. One should not stick to a ‘diet’ forever but rather adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Can you indulge only 20 percent of the time?

By constantly being on a diet you are taking things to the extreme. You will probably start to feel deprived. The thought of always counting your calories or abstaining from the bacon or cookie, is not going to work long term and not going to make you a balanced happy person. So, rather choose a healthier lifestyle that is easily manageable and allows you to try the foods you want to try – but in moderation – not cutting them out completely! The 80/20 rule is not a diet – it’s about healthy eating patterns and balance.

Healthy 80/20 photo

 What is the 80/20 rule exactly?

This is a rule that you can follow forever. Simply put, you stick to clean wholesome food for 80% of your daily calorie intake and allow yourself a treat for the other 20% of your calorie allowance.  You must understand however that if you eat large portions of the so-called healthy food, you can exceed what your body needs, and you will not lose weight. Calories do still count, so should you want to lose weight prior to maintaining your weight, you do need to look at a calorie allowance. Speak to a personal trainer at VSL Hilton or VSL Hout Bay to help out with what sort of calorie intake you should be working on.

So how does it work?

Let’s say that for example, you need to consume 2000 calories a day, the 80/20 rule prescribes that 80% of those 2000 calories (1600) should be allocated to healthy and nutritious food, and the remaining 20% (400 calories) can be allocated to any foods of your choice. Check here to work out how many calories your body needs every day in order to get enough energy. The trick is to try and not go overboard with an entire box of Oreo cookies! Its all about the balance knowing you have the room to live a bit just makes for a happier life.

The 80/20 rule is not a diet – it is a lifestyle.

Click the button below to download our Healthy Living Manual which further explores the 80/20 lifestyle.

The information in this blog post is authentic to the best of our knowledge, and as such, it could be prone to errors and absence of some key information. This is an opinion-based article which does not reflect the exact ideas, ideologies, or points of view of Velocity Sports Lab, its owners or staff. The content is generated for informative purposes but should not to be perceived as professional advice with regards to your health. Should you take this advice, you do so at your own risk.