Being fit is so much more than aesthetics- it goes beyond having a great body.
Fitness is training for a stronger body, a leveled mind and a happy spirit.
Wellbeing is a lifestyle and it reflects in everything you do – from how many hours you sleep, to the types of relationships you keep, to the food you eat to how well you treat yourself.
Here are ten reasons why fitness is life-changing and so important:
1) It makes your brain work better – exercising helps mental functions and ultimately, helps you make better life decisions. “Exercise increases energy levels and increases serotonin in the brain, which leads to improved mental clarity,”
2) It helps you manage stress better – “Exercise produces a relaxation response that serves as a positive distraction,” says Cedric Bryant, chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise. He says it also helps elevate your mood and keep depression at bay.
3) It gives you an energy boost – When you improve your strength and stamina, it’s easier to accomplish everyday tasks like carrying groceries and climbing stairs. This also helps you feel more energetic over the course of the day.
4) It makes you remember better – have you ever wondered why sporty people have such cunning memories?
5) Boosts your confidence – “Exercise is incredibly powerful for building self-confidence. Week after week in the gym, you’re doing things you couldn’t do before, and often things you never thought you could do.”
6) Decreases your chance of chronic illness – exercise is proven to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and colon cancer, among other things. Thirty minutes a few times a week is enough to reap the benefits of your own preventative health care.
7) It can help build relationships – improve your performance everywhere – whether it’s about running after your children or about other things in your personal life.
8) It maintains bone density – According to doctors, activities like weightlifting, dancing, or basically anything that gets your body moving helps to prevent bone loss.
9) Builds and maintains lean muscle – “Muscle is really what gives you that ‘toned’ look. It also speeds up your metabolism so you burn more calories even while resting. The best way to build and maintain lean muscle is with exercise and specifically resistance training.” Yes, it’s true.
10) It makes you happy – A study published in Sports Medicine showed that exercise increases endorphins, otherwise known as your happiness hormones. Want a mood booster? Get moving!